Subject: Re: 1.4.2 again (fwd)
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/27/2000 04:22:43
> I went ahead and put it in before forgetting all about it. I noticed
> now that none of the current snapshots have splits, so maybe we should
> make this optional?

For now I'm actually in favor of making it optional and even defaulting it
to off. The important thing is that when somebody goes to do a release
build (like me), they can do some UTSL'ing and twiddle a makefile and
keep going, instead of being faced with re-inventing a not necessarily
compatible wheel.

> There's still no easy hook to make the security set. I've withheld my
> patches to that effect on the hope that the whole thing would just go
> away. Are we going to be stuck with having to do two builds for 1.5?

Unfortunately I think we will. Crypto policy isn't relaxed enough yet;
3rd party vendors need the secr binaries separated out just like they
need the GNU sources separated out.

Fortunately I have a fairly reasonable method for building domestic that
I developed for 1.4.2, so I will try to make some time to properly write
that up and post it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com