Subject: Re: "make release" in /usr/xsrc
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/22/1999 17:41:59
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > John Darrow wrote:
> >
> > > One thing which I would suggest... instead of hardcoding ../src,
> > > add some sort of a SRCDIR?=../src variable, and use that, so that it
> > > can be overridden easily.
> >
> > We have "BSDSRCDIR" already - I think that should be used.
>
> Yes, for consistency. It's not necessarily already defined, as
> bsd.own.mk isn't included in xsrc, and I'm loathe to do so just for
> this (side effects), but that's easy to deal with. For what it's
> worth, I've included some explanatory text. No doubt it could be
> clearer.
>
> So how's this?

This looks pretty much ok to me.  The only thing I'd question is the
checksums - why not just run the sums over all the .tgz files.  If you
"make release" in xsrc twice you'd end up with two sets of X set sums...

Also, does the
	+ .include "/etc/mk.conf"
	+ BSDSRCDIR?=	/usr/src
need to be before BSDSRCDIR is referenced?

Out of left field, what about treating xsrc sort of like crypto-*, so
we'd have .../src/xsrc in the top level src tree?  I suspect it would
also then be easier to get the src/Makefile "make release" target to
DTRT with X as well.

Simon.