Subject: Re: merits of including CVS directories in source tars?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/18/1999 06:05:11
On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> I've been wondering if it's a good idea to include CVS directories in source
> tars. I compared a set of module checkouts (basesrc etc...) to a unified
> checkout of 'src', and there's some interesting differences at the top
> level CVS info. I don't have enough CVS experience to know if that is bad
> for someone trying to run a CVS command on the extract source tar, and
> that question seems to me to be the deciding factor for whether such info
> is useful to be in the srctars.

The only difference, I think, should be a couple of extra lines in
src/CVS/Entries to make "cvs update" descend into gnu, share, and
domestic.

I saw a project that put out a seperate tarball with _just_ the CVS
directories. We could do that. This would help users switching over
from sup, too. You still need to fix up CVS/Entries on the users
machine, since some users will have gnu, some won't, some will have
crypto-us, or crypto-intl, or domestic, some won't. For that, it
should be easy enough to write a script that compares "find * -type d
-prune ! -name CVS" with "grep ^D CVS/Entries" and fixes up the
Entries file.