Subject: Single partition configs?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/06/1999 17:09:32
Yes, this is weeks late, but I thought I'd chime in.

Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org> writes:
> I used to prefer "G" for /usr, since that's how our older BSDish boxes
> used to get set up, but now I install all my NetBSD boxes with a large
> root filesystem and no /usr (as I seen a few people suggest around
> here).  Is there no reason why we shouldn't push in that direction?

That's my favored configuration.

For a server, having seperated partitions to prevent programs from
nuking each other (i.e. to make sure /var/ always has enough room for
mail delivery even if someone builds too much in /usr/local or what
have you) still makes sense. For a personal desktop machine, however,
I now go for a giant "a" partition with the only other partition being
"b" for swap. Other configurations are just complicated and wasteful
-- they don't buy anything if you have just one disk.

I'd like to see our install tools move us in this direction.

Perry