Subject: Re: default /usr partition
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/18/1999 11:56:27
> > Also /var/tmp and a ?? /usr/tmp ??
> > can be put here by symbolic links.
> DON'T DO THAT! /var/tmp and /tmp are different. /tmp can be scrubbed on
> boot, but /var/tmp (or /usr/tmp) are supposed to survive re-boots. That's
> how vi recover files work. :-)

Vi might well be unique in its assumptions about /usr/tmp.  Are there
any other programs that assume /usr/tmp is preserved across reboots?

For the past ~10 years I've run /tmp as a memory filesystem.  Both
under sunos and netbsd.  During that time /usr/tmp (and all the other
tmps if the were any) have always been symlinks to the fast memoryfs
/tmp.

For one this speeds up programs like gcc that like to write lots of
very short-lived inter-pass files in /usr/tmp.

I've never noticed a problem with /usr/tmp being volatile over
reboots.  But then I don't use vi.  If I did I'd probably be tempted
to fix vi to put its backup into either the user's home directory or
the directory containing the file being edited.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/