Subject: Re: default /usr partition
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/17/1999 07:52:49
David Brownlee wrote:

>         The current letters used for /usr in sysinst are:
>
>             D: alpha pmax vax x68k
>             E: arm32 bebox i386 pc532
>             G: macppc sparc
>             ?: mac68k (uses MacOS partitions - may be 'G')
>
>         It would be nice if we could try to move towards some recommended
>         value where possible. Since sysinst currently either leaves
>         everything alone (upgrade) or blows everything away and starts
> 	from scratch (install), it shouldn't be _too_ disruptive.

I used to prefer "G" for /usr, since that's how our older BSDish boxes
used to get set up, but now I install all my NetBSD boxes with a large
root filesystem and no /usr (as I seen a few people suggest around
here).  Is there no reason why we shouldn't push in that direction?

>         I've favour 'D' on the grounds its the next available partition,
>         and the i386 'd' braindamage should go away eventually :)

This reasoning is not unsound :-)

Simon.