Subject: Re: Something to shoot for someday...
To: None <cyber@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/30/1999 23:54:48
>I plan on starting a graphical based installer as soon as I get
>back from DefCon..

>What would help me an astronomical amount would be to turn sysinst
>into a library, where the curses based stuff is just a presentation
>layer on top of the guts that do all the md/mi/calculations work.

Thats how it started out. There was a pretty clear split between UI
stuff, and backend code to do the installs.  but as more and more
cooks added features to the broth, that distinction got fuzzier and
fuzzier.

It'd be possible to add it back, but all the `backend' code which also
takes UI action (e.g., running a program in a subwindow so that users
can see any output or error messages) would have to be re-written to
go via a UI-mechanism layer. Right now, the backend code has inline
curses calls all through it.  Is it worth fixing that?