Subject: Re: Saving space on install disk idea...
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 04/14/1999 22:07:42
David Brownlee wrote:

> We currently compile all the binaries to crunch -O2, would it make
> more sense to compile them -Os?

The way I understand it, crunchgen generates stubs that are then
compiled and linked with objects files normally left over from a "make
build".  Just compiling those stubs with -Os wouldn't save that much
space.

To compile everything that get's crunched (including chunks of libc),
you'd some fancy reach-over Makefile system that recompiled a hell of a
lot of stuff.  Whether or not this is worth the effort is not an easy
question to answer, and depends on a port-by-port basis.  For example,
on the pmax we don't really have space limitations at the moment, but
for the i386 it may make a difference between a single or double floppy
install.

I've got a reasonably idle PII-400 - I'm happy to fire off a "make
build" with -Os and build a hopefully smaller install disk if anyone
thinks it's worth the effort...

Simon.