Subject: Re: netbsd: Inappropriate file type or format
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/23/1999 13:23:00
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:
> I don't know offhand.  You could try to extract netbsd from the
> floppy image set with
>
> 	dd if=boot1.fs of=part1 skip=16
> 	dd if=boot2.fs of=part2 skip=16
> 	cat part1 part2 > boot.tar
> 	tar xvf boot.tar netbsd
>
> and do e.g. "file" on it.  It should be a gzipped a.out
> executable.

I will try that when I'm back at work. I've played a bit further after my
mail, and found out thatn wen I replaced the compressed kernel (with or
even without the MD attached) with an uncompressed kernel, this works
fine. I've updated bootblocks, mdsetimage und installboot, but this still
didn't help.

Is it possible loading of gzip'ed kernels is somehow broken these days?

 - Hubert

P.S.: It *is* cool booting a kernel distributed on several floppies. :)
      Congratulations for everyone involved in making this happen!
--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>