Subject: Re: netbsd: Inappropriate file type or format
To: None <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/23/1999 10:50:04
> I'm trying to build a i386/current bootfloppy (fdset,
> actually), but always get the following error after the
> bootloader did its countdown and starts booting fd0a:netbsd:
>
> netbsd: Inappropriate file type or format
>
> I've updated things in /usr/mdec, but this didn't help either.
> What am I doing wrong, any clues?

I don't know offhand.  You could try to extract netbsd from the
floppy image set with

	dd if=boot1.fs of=part1 skip=16
	dd if=boot2.fs of=part2 skip=16
	cat part1 part2 > boot.tar
	tar xvf boot.tar netbsd

and do e.g. "file" on it.  It should be a gzipped a.out
executable.

Another thing to check is that your bootblocks are at a minimum
version 2.5 -- that's needed for ustarfs boot support.

Other than that I'm not sure, and it's now a while since I built
and tested the boot floppies the last time.

- Havard