Subject: Re: i386 booting, take 2
To: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/30/1998 18:13:09
On Sep 21, 11:18am, Phil Nelson wrote:
}
} >Are you sure that the refusal to boot comes from the BIOS, rather than
} >from the code in the MBR?  If it's the MBR code, then just replace that.
}
} No, I'm not sure.  But here is what I remembered I did:
}
} 	a) boot from floppy
} 	b) dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d bs=1k count=64
} 	c) disklabel -w -r wd0 disktype
} 	d) untar distribution sets
} 	e) reboot ... -> "no operating system" message
}
} That would imply to me that any boot code came from a NetBSD
} source.

     There are several steps missing from your description:

c.1) newfs all partitions
c.2) installboot on wd0a
c.3) mount all partitions (creating mount points as you go)

If you missed c.2, then there wouldn't have been any boot code, hence
the "no operating system" message from the BIOS.

}-- End of excerpt from Phil Nelson