Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/30/1998 15:06:47
1. can we please keep this in tech-install? Thanks!
   (I'm crossposting so everyone gets this)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Simon Burge wrote:
> > I think the set contents file should only contain information that can
> > be automagically gathered from each package's pkg/* files...
> I think I disagree with you here.  From a sysinst point of view, I'd say
> we need to know the total installed size of each package, and that isn't
> available in the pkg/* files.

this is not available, but there are various patches flying arount either
to merge a @size tag into the +CONTENTS file of a pkg (making this even
able to query for ftp://-packages, i.e. if you install via ftp; IMHO a
major win) or by adding a +SIZE file.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>