Subject: Re: sysinstall "local" tarball
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: None <rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/20/1998 10:01:29
> Neither of those statements makes any sense.  The IDE/ATA code already
> handles 10GB disks, and should work fine in an Atari.  The OS doesn't
> care what the geometry is; only the BIOS on PCs does (for booting),
I agree completely that lba does not care about geometry.

> and it cares for *all* disks, not just those using the wd/wdc drivers.
I agree that the geometry is a crutch for BIOS

But, I'm pretty sure that the way the code works is that the initial
disk label is reported up to sysinst to make a disklabel.  The
disklabel needs to know the disk's capacity and it currently asks for
a geometry.
This is what also needs to be fixed.