Subject: Default netmask
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/27/1998 13:26:21
  I have installed NetBSD on numerous computers on the UT campus
(128.83.XX.XX) over the past few years, and only recently
noticed that the netmask was set to 0xffff0000, rather than the
proper 0xffffff00, since we subnet internally.  Questions:

  1.  Is there anyone in their right mind on a class A or B that
      _really_ wants broadcasts to go to _all_ machines, i.e., that
      doesn't subnet internally?  If not, maybe the default
      should be 0xffffff00, to avoid boneheads like me.  :)
      Or maybe a note should pop up for class A and B saying
      `most class A and B folks subnet internally, so the proper
      netmask is 0xffffff00.  Do you want to use a netmask of
      0xffffff00, or 0xff..0000?'

  2.  In sysinst's net.c, it appears that the netmask for class C
      nets (192.* -- 223.*) is still set to 0xffff0000 --
      shouldn't that be 0xffffff00?

  I must have blindly accepted the default (0xffff0000) during
sysinst all these times.  So far, the only inconvenience with
an improper netmask has been ypserv not dealing with broadcast
ypbind requests.

  Brian
--
"Al!" - The MOB