Re: What GUI toolkit to use for an embedded system?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 04:59:18PM +1100, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 02:07:51PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:16:29AM +0200, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
> > > Does anyone here have any suggestions for a good GUI toolkit (such as
> > > GTK, Qt, etc) suitable for an embedded system?
> >
> > we're currently using homegrown libraries under nano-X, and if I had to
> > do it again I would look at embedded Qt or FLTK.
>
> I don't have first-hand experience of either (and would
> appreciate hearing it from anyone who has!) but I believe that
> both GTK and WxWidgets both have variations that run on bare
> frame buffers.  At least, their web sites have alluded to that
> possability at one time or another.  Isn't the Nokia 770
> tablet's Maemo GUI an example of GTK on a frame buffer?

I'm not sure about the N770, but the current Maemo GUI (on N810) is
basically standard X11, using the Xomap X server. It is still reasonably
lightweight, as the machine has only 128 MB of RAM.

Regards,
       Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison