Subject: Alcatel Cognac?
To: None <tech-embed@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 01/20/2007 18:55:41
Forgive me if this is a bit off-topic, but since I intend to run NetBSD on
it, and it's clearly designed for the embedded market, I venture the
question.

I recently grabbed an "appliance" for dirt cheap as it was 1U rack-mount
format, had 3 FE ports and a Redhat Linux sticker on the front.  How could I
go wrong?  I'm now trying to identify what I have.

Opening the case, it's an odd Intel i440BX motherboard, socket 370, one
memory slot, 3 Intel 10/100 ethernet controllers on board, 2 PMC sites, one
IDE connector and one compact flash site, one USB and 2 serial ports.

Silk screen says "COGNAC REV. A1 <cr> MB06013-1".

Connecting to the right serial port and puzzling out it expects 57.6k, I
get:

 ---->% snip %<-----

Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc.

ALCATEL COGNAC, 07/25/01 REV.A3

Main Processor : Intel Pentium III 600E MHz(100x6.0)
Memory Testing :   65536K OK

                            System Configurations
+===========================================================================
===+
| CPU Type          : Intel Pentium III   Base Memory       :    640K
|
| CPU ID/ucode ID   : 0681/11             Extended Memory   :  64512K
|
| CPU Clock         : 600E MHz            Cache Memory      :    256K

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 ---|
| Diskette Drive A  : 1.44M, 3.5 in.      Display Type      : MONO
|
| Diskette Drive B  : None                Serial Port(s)    : 3F8 2F8
|
| Pri. Master Disk  : None                Parallel Port(s)  : None
|
| Pri. Slave  Disk  : None                SDRAM at Row(s)   : 0
|
| Sec. Master Disk  : None
|
| Sec. Slave  Disk  : None

+===========================================================================
===+

PCI device listing ...
Bus No. Device No. Func No. Vendor/Device Class Device Class
IRQ
 ----
   0        7         1     8086   7111   0101  IDE Cntrlr
14
   0        7         2     8086   7112   0C03  Serial Bus Cntrlr
10
   0       12         0     8086   1209   0200  Network Cntrlr
12
   0       14         0     8086   1209   0200  Network Cntrlr
10
   0       16         0     8086   1209   0200  Network Cntrlr
11

Building DMI Pool ............................ Success
Verifying DMI Pool Data ............ Update Success
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

It doesn't seem to accept input from the terminal, and it doesn't seem to
care about USB keyboards, so I can't break into the BIOS.

Google hasn't given me a hint other than the fact that someone made a vastly
more popular generic Intel motherboard referred to as a COGNAC and this
ain't it.

Anyone have a bit of doco for this?

Thanks,

Ken