Re: weird network outage

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
I don't think it was coincidence that rebooting Bigboy made things
wedge.  I have a plausible explanation for how that reboot could have
wedged Hellgate, via something that looked like a "break" on a serial
console.  I have no explanation whatsoever for how that could have
confused a cable modem.  Any theories?

break on the serial line sounds reasonable, and booting your serial console server might result in that. (It always did for sparcs...) Can you send a manual break from your console server and see if you can reproduce the problem? (Not that I would know how to fix your cable modem IF that hangs the Soekris...)

One other thing coming to mind is that there's some magic to change the magic that the break on the serial line involves to something else.
Looking at options(4), the following may be of interest:

     options DDB_FROMCONSOLE=integer
     options DDB_BREAK_CHAR=integer

Ah, and the one I couldn't remember (and that's of course not referenced from abve and not well documented either) is the hw.cnmagic sysctl ...
maybe start with that one.

Greetings from Starbucks @ Astor Place, NYC ;)

 - Hubert