Re: Real Time O.S vs 'conventional' one.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Zafer Aydogan wrote:

I have embedded boards which I want to use as acess points for WLAN
infrastructure.
The choice is between NetBSD and Real Time Linux.
What I am wondering about is if there is any advantage using real
time O.S on wireless enviroment.

That depends. If you want to run a business, then you don't want to run
NetBSD at all, at least not right now, because it is buggy and under heavy
development. If it is just for your home environment, you can give it a try.

        Tell that to the bank of 4GB amd64 4000+ boxes in the server room
        behind me running a mixture of postgres, tomcat, and perl apps.

        There are some applications where one of NetBSD or Linux is clearly
        a better choice, and many more where both will work fine.

        Certainly there is a lot of embedded development happening on
        NetBSD at the moment, but that is why it has release and
        development branches :)