Subject: Re: CF mounted on wd0
To: Nino Dehne <ndehne@gmail.com>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/27/2005 22:47:23
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:48:17 +0200
Nino Dehne <ndehne@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there seems to be some confusion here.
> Marcin Jessa wrote:
> > I dont want to copy hundreds of files to the CF. I want to have one image which I can dd to the CF.
>
> What I usually do is use vnd(4) to create a complete image of the CF
> card, although makefs should do as well.
>
> > What I am trying to do is to mount the rootfs on the CF (wd0) instead of md0.
>
> Then you will have to "copy hundreds of files to the CF". Either with
> cp/tar or with vnd+newfs (or makefs+dd). What do you need the md0 image
> in the kernel for?
>
> If you want to mount wd0a read-only and then mount some memory disks on
> top, that's not what MEMORY_* is for as far as I understand. man
> mount_mfs or man mdconfig.

This is how I create my images:
http://www.wifibsd.org/support/netbsd-on-cf.txt

I create a directory with all the files, create a file system with makefs and insert it into the kernel.
Then I create disk image with vnconfig create file system and bootstrap it and mount created partition.
Copy over the kernel and boot files and then this image file can be dd'd to a CF.

I guess I misunderstood something then, I'd need to just cp all the files to my vnd and do not use a memory disk.
What I wanted was one file with rootfs which would make it easier to upgrade the system, uploading one kernel file and replacing the old one.

Thanks,
Marcin.