Subject: Re: Applying a patch for a package
To: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 07/13/2004 14:29:51
On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 03:01:15PM -0400, Brian Rose wrote:
> I am doing some embedded development, and I need to apply a patch to
> gdb in order to get it to function with some Background Debugging
> Monitor (BDM) equipment. The site on sourceforge has a .patch file
> that I can apply to gdb 5.3.
>
> How do I go about applying the patch to the pkgsrc version of gdb. Do
> I just drop it into the patches folder (tried didn't work) or is there
> some other procedure I need to do?

I'd just compile it out-of-tree and put it in /opt, /usr/local, etc,
since there doesn't appear to be a cross/m68k-gdb.

by default devel/gdb builds a native debugger, and since you're doing
BDM, I assume you're wantint go cross-debug.  (it might be possible to
build a native m68k debugger with BDM support.  I haven't tried.)

  "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
  to write provably correct software.  also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown