MII on a chip on a board...

Hi All,
        I'm wanting to put a switch chip on an embedded appliance I have a
dream of creating.  I had a look at http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/mii.html and
it seems to have a couple of generic drivers.  I guess the question I have is:
If I
put this chip on a board, how do I get NetBSD to recognise it (the web page
insinuates that MII interfaces live on network cards, and I don't know if this
chip qualifies as a network card [Realtek 8305S]).

        The chips spec says: The fifth port (port 4) can be configured as a
MII/SNI to work with a routing engine, HomePHY or a fiber transceiver for a
100Base-FX application.

        Will the generic MII drivers listed on the above web page drive such an
interface? (This sounds like 'how long is a piece of string?' to me, but I
thought I should ask anyway :-)

Trying to come to grips with hardware,
Anthony