Subject: Re: NetBSD in Set top box (fwd)
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-embed
Date: 05/10/2000 22:57:57
On Mon, 10 May 2021, Edwin Foo wrote:

> The kernel + ramdisk size is about 2 megs uncompressed - I was able to
> compress it down to 1.2MB for my application. I used crunchgen to save space
> in general on the ramdisk. Kaffe itself is about 400K uncompressed as a
> static executable.

	Just a related thought on this - it would be nice if NetBSD had
	a 'standard' 'kernel + kaffe ramdisk' option, which could be
	employed on any architecture which supported kaffe. Maybe even
	a pkgsrc entry (compile kernel, set 'RAMDISK_KERNEL_LOCATION' to
	point to it, then run 'make install' in the package to build the
	rest of the tools an plug them into the ramdisk).

	There are bound to be issues with configuring stuff, but it could
	make a really useful framework within which people could tweak :)

		David/absolute
				       -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --