Re: Patch: cprng_fast performance - please review.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 08:23:11PM +0200, Markku-Juhani Olavi Saarinen wrote:

> Agreed. AES is worse if you don't have AES-NI.
>
> It has been there on all new systems purchased in some last 3 years,
> so I would *guess* that it would be > 50% of systems fielded out
> there.

It hasn't been there on all new systems purchased in the last 3
years.  My laptop is about 3 years old and doesn't have AES-NI.
Neither does my file server (1.5 years old, AMD CPU, IIRC.) nor my
mobile phone, iPad, last year's MacBook Air, etc.

This is, of course, annecdotal evidence, but I do not think that
I am an entirely atypical consumer and yet I do not think that I've
ever owned a system with AES-NI.

I do not think that it is nearly as prevalent as you believe.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://Imrryr.ORG/~elric/