Re: GSoc2010 project suggestion: swcryptX

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:12:21PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

>    This is where it gets fishy. ;) The existing opencrypto(4) framework
>    probably needs to be make MP-aware at the same time, employing proper use
>    of NetBSD's locking framework.

You should read the existing code much more carefully before making this
kind of lengthy proposal.  Most of what is proposed here is already done
(allowing multiple CPUs to enter the various opencrypto components,
including swcrypto, at the same time; converting opencrypto to modern
locking).

If you believe it's not, let's talk about the code.  How do we need to
make opencrypto MP-aware?  How should we properly use NetBSD's locking
framework?

The rest seems to me to be of questionable value, particularly
jamming a heavy request-scheduling layer into the middle of the framework.
I know Sam proposed this in the comments in his original code, but I would
need to be persuaded via benchmarks that it could actually pay off.

I do think there are opencrypto-related projects that would be good
candidates for SoC.  I don't think what you have proposed here is one.  I
have listed several on the Wiki GSoc page...

Thor