Re: AMD Geode LX Security Block (was Re: NetBSD on the Soekris net5501 status report)

In article <9BCD26A4-4861-46EE-8FF8-A5DEDDCA0405%invisible.ca@localhost> you
write:
>On 18-Jun-07, at 8:16 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>> I'd suggest correctness verification. ~15GB/s seems to be waaaay
>> too fast:)
>
>You're right, the results vary greatly from run to run. I've seen
>numbers considerably lower than this as well as numbers considerably
>higher. Not exactly sure why, maybe openssl has the timing wrong --
>it claims that it's running for 3s on n size blocks, but then later
>claims that it only ran for a fraction of that period of time, ie:

I haven't checked the code, but my guess would be that 'openssl speed'
runs for 3s of real time, but then checks the amount of CPU time it's
used.  Since the CPU is idle waiting for the result from the
accelerator, the CPU time is roughly zero, hence the ludicrous numbers.

--
Ben Harris