Re: NetBSD and OpenBSD capabilities as of 2004 ?

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:41:13AM -0500, Chapman Flack wrote:

> [..] I still would like a better understanding
> of how Net- and Open- differ in security and crypto support.

very few differences. each bsd project keeps an eye
about what others do and when a nice feature is
developed in one, it is incorporated into others.
the difference is the code incorporation is only
done once code is working and stabilized. so if
there is something new in openbsd, it will take
some weeks or even monthes before it moves to others,
but it's development code.

the question is rather: are you interested in
trying and helping develop stuff in one bsd
that might end in other bsd or software.

try each. it's not only what you will find in
each but how you feel it. i started with openbsd
and loved it. i tried netbsd and freebsd a
few years later, and finally i choosed net.

how you "feel" is what matters in the end.