Subject: Re: Adding opencrypto, crypto acceelerator to GENERIC kernels?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 11/18/2003 16:27:48
[ port-i386 and tech-kern trimmed, tech-userlevel on bcc, thread moved
to tech-crypto ]

On Nov 18, 2003, at 4:07 PM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Below is the patch I posted to tech-crypto in August.  I know Jason
> has tried it; last call for feedback before I commit this, too...
> Please send me an explicit cc: with any feedback.

After thinking about this a little bit, I think I would like for the
libcrypto stuff to only use /dev/crypto if acceleration hw is available
for the requested algorithm.

This is because using the kernel for the sw crypto is a neat little way
for things like ssh to cause a kernel thread that will not be preempted
to suck up a lot of CPU time.  I'm not sure I like that very much.

Is this pretty easy to handle in the OpenSSL "engine" support?