Re: OpenSSL + opencrypto

>Anyway, from this info, it would be nice to put some intelligence in
>libcrypto so it could decide when to use an engine and when to use the
>base libcrypto software implementation of the transform.

``What he said''. Seriously, thanks for pre-empting me on this one
:-/.  I'd already been concerned about the impact on Heimdal, where we
know upfront that DES operations on short blocks (an MD5 hash) are fairly
common.

NB: the kernel currently honours requests on /dev/crypto transforms
which end up being handled in software. That's a
performance-measurement hack: both FreeBSD and OpenBSD disallow
/dev/crypto access to software operations.  I'd planned to turn them
off just before the openssl libcrypto patches go in.