Subject: Re: lib/9702: Makefile lossage for crypto-intl
To: None <augustss@augustsson.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 03/29/2000 21:25:29
Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> >Number:         9702
> >Category:       lib
> >Synopsis:       Makefile lossage for crypto-intl

> 	There is a problem with the Makefiles for the crypto-intl stuff.
> 	It remakes things too often.
> >How-To-Repeat:
> 		cd src
> 		make build
> 		make UPDATE=Y build
> 	Watch how the second make recompiles a lot of the crypto libraries.
> 	This can't be necessary and it's very annoying on slow machines.
> >Fix:
> 	Makefiles move mysteriously, meandering maliciously...

I _think_ from memory that this is because commands like compile_et and
so on get rebuilt (because libc is updated) and they have dependancies
on them so other files get rebuilt.  Do you get unnecessary recompiles
if you "make UPDATE=y build" yet again?

Without looking, a fix could possibly be to get compile_et to generate
it's output into a temp file and compare that with the old generated
file and only update it if it's changed.

Anyone who knows this side of the world any better got any comments?

Simon.