Subject: Looking for help with high volume MySQL
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org, tech-cluster@netbsd.org,>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: tech-cluster
Date: 08/17/2007 17:48:10
Hi, all,

I'm looking for help with setting up NetBSD machines in a MySQL cluster. I
have lots of questions, such as:

Is SMP efficient enough with NetBSD that a single 4, 6, or 8 processor
system would be as capable or perhaps more capable than, say, 2, 3, or 4
separate dual processor systems?

Why, on an amd64 system with 4 gigs of memory and MySQL ulimited as such:

         ulimit -n 4096
         ulimit -d 1572864
         ulimit -n 600
         ulimit -s 32768

do I sometimes get out of memory errors from MySQL? The total size of
MySQL seems to grow to about 1 gig, but never any larger, and I've had to
lower memory usage in my.cnf.

Why is my.cnf in /usr/local/ and not in /usr/local/etc/?

Does anyone have recommendations for setting up an arbitrary number of
replication slaves easily? Experience and suggestions? What's the best way
to benchmark two machines against each other? AMD or Intel?

Any suggestions or help would be most welcome.

Thanks,
John Klos
--
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who
make empty prophecies.  The danger already exists that mathematicians