Subject: Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: None <tech-cluster@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-cluster
Date: 01/20/2006 17:30:18
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 03:42:03PM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
>On Thursday 19 January 2006 05:02, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>> > I saw sge in pkgsrc. Was thinking to adjust version in makefile or just
>> > build in /usr/local -- I don't expect any issue there, just wondering
>> > if there where any.
>>
>> I don't think that you can just adjust the version.  It's a fairly
>> complex package with many patches that may no longer apply or may have
>> been included in the original distribution.  Your best bet is probably
>> to first see if you can build the pkgsrc version and if that's
>> sufficient.  If so, great.  If not, download the official tarball and
>> try to build it yourself.  If that works, see if you can package it.
>> Either way, post your results!
>
>We've been running the pkgsrc package quite happily.  I did ask one of guys
>here to update the package to the latest version - must find out where that
>is at.

Well the advantage to having sge in pkgsrc is not only for this
version but future versions. Maybe math/R is a bigger deal for
that... many upgrades. I don't expect any major build issues with
either, so I may go with /usr/local installs just to be able
to support newer versions quicker. So I'm curious, if there is
something that makes each (most) sge pkgsrc versions difficult, or
is it just too east to tar xjf && cd && configure && make install,
so the pkgsrc lags behind?

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org