tech-cluster archive

Re: Linux vs FreeBSD clusters (was: how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?)

Rayson Ho <raysonlogin%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
> A very good paper about building HPC clusters with FreeBSD:
>
> "Building a High-performance Computing Cluster Using FreeBSD"
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/bsdcon2003/
>
> The author talked about hardware issues: KVM, BIOS redirection, CPU
> choices; and then talked about why he chose FreeBSD instead of Linux...
> he also did the port of GridEngine (SGE) to FreeBSD.
>
> Anyone tried to setup HPC clusters with *BSD??

I have a 30 node NetBSD/i386 cluster, and just recently created the
tech-cluster%netbsd.org@localhost mailing list.  Some people are working on a
port
of SGE to NetBSD, too.  I hope to expand the awareness of NetBSD in
particular for cluster usage in the near future.

Some URLs of relevance:

http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~jschauma/hpcf/