Subject: Re: Solaris vs NetBSD clusters (was: Re: Linux vs FreeBSD clusters)
To: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: tech-cluster
Date: 11/07/2003 08:48:19

> MLH writes:
>
> > We are running a cluster of about 700 dual processor Athlons (and
> > growing) right now for genetics research. They all run solaris86,
> > but we know we need to move to other os platforms.
>
> Why do you need to move?  Solaris/x86 is a good platform, and
> Solaris 10 is even better.  Do you have some application- or
> cluster-specific reason for moving away from Solaris?

Currently we are a 'solaris shop' and while solaris86 currently
does smp better than anything else we've seen for these boxes, it
isn't a long term solution and has some painful software maintenance
challenges (and is very slow). We see Sun moving further and further
away from the scientific community that helped give it life and
that continued movement makes it harder and harder to maintain and
develop our software tools.  We are a data-centric research
organization with very long-term goals and requirements. Being held
hostage by a technology or vendor does not fit in with these
constraints.

> > At the same time, we would like to work on some sort of cluster
> > install/management package.
>
> This sounds like a good thing to have.  But the first step would be
> to implement a method for doing fully automated "hands-off" NetBSD
> installations.  This is something that has been sorely lacking since
> NetBSD came into existence...

Suggestions? :^)