Regional-nyc archive

Re: poin2 chromebook install

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 11:12:05AM -0400, fire crow wrote:
> Hi All,
> looking for advice porting netbsd to the poin2 chromebook. (http://poin2.com)
>
> it's ARM rockhip based (Quad Core RK3288 / Cortex-A17 / ARMv7) and has
> a bootable micro sd and usb ports, so the plan is to install the os on
> a swapable card.
>
> on weds aug 3rd, i'm going to do the install at NYCBUG's installfest,
> so i can get the expertise of the group here in nyc, wanted to reach
> out to the list in advance.
>
> I look at the kernels inside evbarm and didn't see one that was an
> obvious choice, what kernel would you recommend i use?
>
> i'm familiar with x86_64 installs, but this will be the first time i
> prepare my own install media by cross compiling from build.sh
>
> anything I should know going into this install?

There is no reason to expect our RK3066/RK3188 support also works on RK3288.

It's inadvisable to begin a port on hardware without an accessible
serial console interface.  I don't think we even have a frame buffer
driver for Rockchip yet...

I'd start investigating hardware design similarities. If sufficiently
similar to existing support, adding 'options CPU_CORTEXA17' to the
ROCKCHIP kernel and netbooting that would be my initial approach.

	Jonathan Kollasch