Subject: Re: Anyone ever used a Compaq EVO laptop?
To: Lindgren, Jon <Jon.Lindgren@gs.com>
From: Andrew Brown <At.Brown@morganstanley.com>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 06/02/2003 11:06:54
> > i've already given my two cents on laptops, but i always
> > caution people away from buying compaq.  maybe they're better
> > now, but i don't know.
> >
> > compaq always sounds nice, but it never takes long for one to
> > make me feel frustrated.
>
> Could you elaborate?  The only reason I've been looking at compaqs are for
> the screen res, memory capability, thickness and weight.

certainly the laptop you describe seems to win in all those areas,
but i've found that running anything but the proscribed os on a
compaq machine can lead to mind-numbing frustration.  that coupled
with compaq's propensity for using strange hardware means that
getting netbsd running is always a pain in the ass.

ps - does it have a built-in serial port?

--
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender
does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.