Subject: Re: NetBSD vs. PPPoA (with native IPv6)
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
List: regional-london
Date: 05/03/2006 17:18:43
Hi,

We have a consumer bulldog (8mbit/600kbit) adsl line which needs to be
shared in a student halls of residence. I'll go through what I did,
although it may bear little resemblance to your scenario (mainly as
we're on ipv4).

The system was originally running off a Speedtouch 510 ethernet router
(pppoA) with the router providing limited ipv4 dhcp addresses via nat
to the client machines.

When reworking the system I had the following considerations in mind:

-Bandwidth shaping due to tiny uplink for ~60 students
-"Idiot proof" or - after a hard modem reset minimal configuration needed
-Did I mention "idiot proof"? The idea is that when I'm gone it should
be easy to fix.

There are a few possibilities with this modem if you want to use a
netbsd gateway:

-transparent bridging + 1 layer of NAT; similar to that described by
Matthias; gateway does ppp stuff directly and skips modem NAT
-dhcp spoofing + 1 layer of NAT; first machine to request ip gets the
external ip + all traffic and skips modem NAT, although I'm not sure
what overhead is involved compared to the above
-regular dhcp + 2 layers of nat (one from modem, then one from gateway
to rest of network)
-regular dhcp + "1.5" layers of nat (set default NAPT server to
gateway, which forwards all packets to the gateway as in dhcp
spoofing, but without the external ip. "1.5" as on the modem side
there is only 1 ip address involved in NAT: that of the gateway).

I avoided transparent bridging as I know that no-one without previous
experience with *nix and netbsd ppp would be able to update the login
settings if they changed.

I used dhcp spoofing for a while, but ran in to problems when people
would trip over the modem power and the gateway had issues with
getting a new ip address when the modem dialed in again. Also if hard
reset there was quite a lot of configuration to do to get this to
work. Not to forget also people plugging in other machines to the
router (which has 4 ethernet ports), shutting down the gateway (by
tripping over it or something) and then their machine getting sole
access to the internet...

Now we're using regular dhcp + "1.5" layers of nat at the moment, so
it looks something like this:

ADSL -> Speedtouch Router [81.xx.xx.xx] One IP NAT -> netbsd Gateway
[10.x.x.x] NAT -> Client network [192.x.x.x]

I imagine this involves less overhead, and allows me to easily run net
services from the gateway, than with the 2 layer NAT setup. Of course,
when people still insist on plugging in their computers to the modem,
then resetting the modem because their internet won't work, the
default NAPT server entry in the modem config needs to be updated if
the gateway ip changes (assigned via dhcp).

Without a doubt transparent bridging would be better as then only one
layer of NAT would exist between clients and the internet. Of course
ipv6 with lots of ip space would be the best but we're not nearly
ready for that here.

How did you get ipv6 over your ipv4 interface Matthias?

For bandwidth shaping I had to experiment a lot as I found the
documentation very scarce on this subject for netbsd (via google).

I settled on ALTQ with netbsd-2.0 and ipfilter and that seems to be OK
with PRIQ, although something more flexible could be better. We're
already extremely limited with a 600kbit uplink and 60 students who
all like file sharing (although not any more thanks to draconian local
policy).

As far as idiot-proofing goes, power-cycling the modem and gateway
(the bad way) works fine, and I have setup a variety of remote
administration and visual aid tools mainly through cgi with a local
web server.

However I know it will only be a few months after I leave before the
adsl line goes down for some reason, and the "mysterious" black netbsd
box gets the blame and gets retired. It's very hard to train people,
especially if there is a huge lack of technically-minded people.

Sorry for the rambling,

Amadeus