Subject: Re: Meeting in Cambridge?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: regional-london
Date: 02/08/2006 09:06:56
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <Pine.NEB.4.61.0602071751170.19784@ugly.precedence.co.uk>,
> 	Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk> writes:
>> I don't mind running with this, but it would be useful to have
>> preferred days of the week and likely forms of transport.
>
> I guess People will either come by train (via London King's Cross,
> 55 minutes with the express) or car. I can pick up up to three
> people at the train station.
>
> People which come by car could use the Park Street multy-storey car park
> which is empty in the evening hours at least from Monday to Friday.
>
> BTW: what kind of restaurant do people prefer? I don't know a steak house
>     in Cambridge but there are lots of other nice restaurants.

Possible venues:

The Live and Let Live
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/26/2607/Live_and_Let_Live/Cambridge

Pros:	Very good food (until around 9.30) and beer
 	Easy to walk to from the station
 	Close to other food places
Cons:	Parking nearby not great (lots of residents only parking)
 	Can be tricky to find by car
 	Can be smoky
 	Not huge, but I know the landlord so might be able to reserve tables

The Carlton Arms
http://www.thecarltonarms.co.uk/

Pros:	Easy to get to by car
 	On the main bus route from the station
 	Great beer
 	Spacious (though does get busy with Linux types on Thursdays)
 	Could reserve tables easily
 	Completely non-smoking
 	Convenient for tron and me :-)
Cons:	Need to use a bus from the station
 	Food standard pub fare
 	Some distance from other places to eat

I guess it depends a bit on whether you want pub and eat combined.

--
Stephen