Subject: Re: Data recovery
To: Glenn Richards <glenn@squirrelsolutions.co.uk>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: regional-london
Date: 01/09/2005 23:13:26
On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:14:39AM +0000, Glenn Richards wrote:
> (On the up side, I've stuck a new disk in and installed 2.0 on the
> box... think I'll be putting RAID on this one and investing in a tape
> backup system...)

Sorry, I don't know any good recovery services, but I can
wholeheartedly recommend RAID 1 disks via RAIDframe:

	http://users.piuha.net/martti/comp/raid/raid.html

and also using Amitai's method of backing up via the mirrored RAID 1:

	http://netbsd.schmonz.com/backups-with-raid/

I've been using the "just use one of the disks as a backup" method for
a while now (got the disk enclosures from overclockers.com here in the
UK), and am one very happy bunny.

FWIW, the NetBSD-current pkgsrc bulk build machine is one of the machines
configured with RAID 1 like this.

Regards,
Alistair