Subject: Tools for learning Japanese kanji
To: None <regional-jp@netbsd.org>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: regional-jp
Date: 07/05/2003 09:16:55
I've been using kakasi to render readings of kanji in the Japanese
mail that I recieve.  However, I've often wanted something more.  I
use mew + emacs to read my mail.  I've often wanted the ability to
cause the kanji in the buffer to be rendered with furigana over them,
or have some 'automatic popup' mode that gives the furigana in a popup
window as the cursor flies over the kanji.  Is there anything at all
like that available?

I'm using emacs 21.3 + mew 2.3 and with a number of font ports to deal
with Japanese on my laptop (FreeBSD laptop, but this stuff is mostly
os neutral).  xlookup is also cool, but requires some careful font
hacking to make it work.  Most of the tools are ja->en oriented, so
are localized for ja.

BTW, I use honyaku-damashii to translate japanese in english and
highly recommend it for that use.  It produces really bad english, but
"goodly enough" english to usually understand the meanings (does much
better with 'normal polite forms' than with informal forms, especially
the dialect from kansai).  It is a little better than bablefish.
English to Japanese produces translations that are worse than the
english translations according to the native speakers who have read
translations done by honyaku.  I don't know if it runs on NetBSD or
not, but it is a staticly linked FreeBSD binary that I've used since
3.something.

Warner

P.S.  I hope this is appropriate for this list.  If not, please accept
my appolgoies.