Subject: Re: Advice on Zaurus
To: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
From: Jaime Fournier <ober@NetBSD.org>
List: port-zaurus
Date: 03/16/2007 05:44:19
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Chris Wareham wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:02:45 +0000
> From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
> To: Jaime Fournier <ober@mail.netbsd.org>
> Cc: port-zaurus@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Re: Advice on Zaurus
>
> Jaime Fournier said on 23/2/07 01:40:
>>
>> I am still working on an install procedure, but I can probably get
>> something out that gets you up and running.
>> Beware this is a very new port so there are a few things that do not work
>> yet. Check the port page for specifics.
>>

> Hi Jaime,
>
> I've just received my Zaurus and was wondering if you'd had a chance to
> put together an install procedure. In the meantime I'm going to poke
> around in the OpenBSD tree to get some idea of how hard it'd be to port
> their support for things like audio and X11.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,
 	here is a quick and dirty way to get Zaurus up and running Netbsd.

1. Get a compact flash disk of at least a few hundred megs.
2. Setup the flash disk with a ffs filesystem to be your root partition.
    You can setup one for swap as well (or use a file to swap to as I do.)
    Untar at least base.tgz and etc.tgz on there.
    Update the fstab to point to have an entry like
    /dev/wd1a / ffs rw 1 1
    cd dev && sh MAKEDEV all
    edit etc/rc.conf and change rc_configured=YES

3. Download zbsdmod.o from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/ober/zbsdmod.o
    And the GENERIC kernel for the zaurus to your Linux install on the
    Zaurus.

4. Once you have the CF card setup you can pop it into the zaurus, then
    under linux just run
    modload zbsdmod.o
    cp netbsd /proc/zboot

You should see netbsd boot up at this point.
If you get a prompt for the root partition just put
wd1a (assuming you made the first partition of your CF card for /)

Having root on the CF slot does remove your ability to
use the slot for say wifi, which is what I use mine for.
Usb is still an option for wifi as long as you have a powered hub.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jaime Fournier
ober@netbsd.org