Re: hvm domus on netbsd-10 dom0 zvol

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 05:10:43PM +0200, Hauke Fath (SPG) wrote:
>> On 2024-07-11 22:18, Brad Spencer wrote:
>> > This uses older directives that may have been completely removed from
>> > your version of Xen, so it might not work,
>>
>> Correct.  ;)
>>
>> > but the following is how I
>> > started HVM guests in the past on Xen 4.15 (and 4.8), except that I
>> > would use LVM block devices.  I don't think that ZFS block devices
>> > should matter.  There was some condition where I had to use
>> > 'qemu-xen-traditional', as well, but I have forgotten what that is.  I
>> > adapted you config from information I used in the past.
>> >
>> > kernel = "/usr/pkg/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
>>
>> Now in libexec, and the default setting
>>
>> > device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"
>>
>> libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2899:libxl__spawn_local_dm: Domain 14:device model
>> /usr/pkg/libexec/xen/bin/qe€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€mu-dm is not executable: No such
>> file or directory                                       €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
>
> qemu-xen-traditional is not installed anymore with xen 4.18
> It should still be there with 4.15

That may be unfortunate for someone....  Back when I had them, I found
that when a pure HVM guest used LVM slices for its disk the guest would
no longer boot (the BIOS would say that the disk was unbootable) with
the upstream qemu and/or tossed odd errors in the DOM0.  I think I may
have mentioned this on port-xen at one point asking if anyone saw it.
It was 100% reproduceable.  I had since moved away from pure HVM guests
for other reasons.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org