Re: proposal: stop using the xen_system_time timecounter in dom0

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 01:53:34PM -0700, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>> I would like to propose that we stop using the xen_system_time
>> timecounter in NetBSD dom0, i.e. in XEN3_DOM0.
>
> Why can't you just set kern.timecounter.hardware to something else
> if xen_system_time isn't working for you ?

I suppose he can, but I read that as an argument that xen_system_time is
not reliable, and thus should be withdrawn.  People should not have to
add workarounds.

Maybe the argument is incorrect, but your question sounds a bit like
"why should we fix this bug when you could use a workaround".

The patch, and the results of removing it and testing were omitted :-)