Re: annual HOWTO rampage, mini edition

At Mon, 01 Jan 2024 11:17:50 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: annual HOWTO rampage, mini edition

> Things that could be improved in the HOWTO, if someone knows the answer:
>
>   If PVH works, why would you want to run PVHVM?  (I posit that there
>   aren't good reasons.)

I would say just for testing...

>   If PVH works, why would you want to run HVM? (I posit that there
>   aren't good reasons.)

Just for testing...

>   How do you tell the system to use PVH for dom0?  Changing /boot.cfg?
>   Just boot GENERIC instead of XEN3_DOM0?

Yes, just add "dom0=pvh" to the xenkernel command-line in /boot.cfg.

BTW, there's a post of mine that should show up here on port-xen, but I
think it must be stuck in moderation.

Most of it is about how Xen-4.18 is unable to display anything (but the
"vga=ask" menu) on a Dell iDrac-6 virtual console, so that part can wait
until it clears moderation.

However relevant to updating the HOWTO, I wrote this:

> BTW, there's a pile of BS, aka "fake news", written about xencons(4) in
> the Xen HowTo on the wiki.  I'll write separately about that, again.

So, first off, xencons(4) has nothing whatsoever to do with the Xen
kernel's messages.  (yes, "xl dmesg" is how to see them)

Secondly xencons(4) _is_ in fact the default console(4) device for
NetBSD/XEN3_* kernels, and in fact it is the _correct_ console to use
for a dom0 with a serial console (console=com0 is _never_ better -- just
let the hypervisor manage the com port!), and for _all_ NetBSD/XEN_DOMU
domUs (it is what you connect to with "xl console domU" or "xl create -c
domU.conf", and the constty login will appear there via xencons(4)).

However xencons(4) is _not_ useful for a NetBSD/XEN3_DOM0 with a VGA
console (as you can't "xl console Domain-0" from dom0 even if that were
somehow useful).  There you need/want "console=pc" on the NetBSD kernel
command line (unless you have the iDrac problem, then you're basically
without a dom0 console, ever).

See also my old post about this:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2021/05/01/msg010149.html

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>