non-Xen PVH boot

I was reading Colin Percival's post about how he managed to make FreeBSD boot
using PVH mode[1] and have been trying poking around to see if we could do the
same.
Adding the first change from the list[2] indeed makes the "Error loading
uncompressed kernel without PVH ELF Note" disappear, but the NetBSD kernel
still doesn't boot using qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel netbsd.
I fail to see if FreeBSD's second change[3] would be necessary, and if yes, how
to implement it.

How hard would this be?

[1]: https://www.daemonology.net/blog/2022-10-18-FreeBSD-Firecracker.html
[2]: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/commit/881c145431b7aa956b93f6d2e7b861fe00ecc892