Re: Recent NetBSD-current as DOM0 crashes

oskar%fessel.org@localhost writes:

>> Am 04.08.2023 um 21:30 schrieb Brad Spencer <brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost>:
>>
>> oskar%fessel.org@localhost writes:
>>> probably not the best combo. I am running dom0:
>>> NetBSD 10.99.2 (XEN3_DOM0) #0: Tue Dec 27 03:19:40 EET 2022
>>

>> Thanks for the info...  After more investigation I filed a PR about what
>> I saw.  It is likely that Dec 2022 was before the commits that seem to
>> cause the problem for me.
>
> indeed:
> strings - /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0 |grep xennetback_xenbus
> /usr/src/sys/arch/xen/xen/xennetback_xenbus.c
> $NetBSD: xennetback_xenbus.c,v 1.108 2022/09/02 23:48:10 thorpej Exp $
>>
>> The commit that caused me trouble was revision 1.109 of
>> sys/arch/xen/xen/xennetback_xenbus.c which hit the tree in February 2023
>> and was pulled into NetBSD 10 ...  it may be that 1.110 and 1.111 are
>> also problems, but I don't know that really...  I had to revert back to
>> 1.108 to get a working DOM0.  It also appears that these were just
>> reverted in -current, but not NetBSD 10 (yet?).
>
> Thanks for the heads up - so i be careful upgrading my DOM0…
>
> Cheers
> 	Oskar

The change looks like it was reverted in -current and NetBSD 10 now.  As
long as you don't have an old tree or distro it should be ok.

It probably won't be needed at this point, but you may want to comment
out or otherwise null out the xendomains variable in /etc/rc.conf, if
you use that, to prevent the DOMU guests from automatically starting up.
You can then start them manually once you have control of the DOM0 after
the kernel update.  If you go this route, you might just start one guest
with its console visable to make sure that it boots up ok.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org