ssh client_loop send disconnnect from Dom0 -> DomU (NetBSD 10.0_BETA/Xen)

Hello all,

I have a network problem here that I'm not sure what Xen's contribution is.

There is one Dom0 and several DomUs. The DomUs are connected via a brigde to the Dom0 and the LAN.

The filesystems of the DomUs are backed up to a USB disk attached to the host. To do this, Dom0 calls the dump command[1] in the DomUs via ssh and has the data written to stdout. In Dom0, the data is then redirected to the file on the USB disk.

When the VMs were not yet particularly busy, this worked without any problems. Since there is a bit more steam on the system, I get irregular but predictable SSH connection disconnects (ssh client loop send disconnect: Broken pipe). I have already tried all possible combinations of ClientAliveInterval and ServerAlivceInterval (and -CountMax), also TCPKeepAlive. Nothing has changed this situation. Even if I run the Ssh server in the DomUs with -d -d -d (debug level 3), I see no evidence of a cause around the time of the abort.

Interesting: if I initiate SSH outbound from an external host on the LAN (i.e. not the Dom0), it works without interconnection aborts in any case.

So I'm just wondering if there might be any peculiarities, setting options or known errors related to long-running SSH connections from Dom0 into a DomU on the same host. If anyone has any ideas here, I would be very very grateful.

Kind regards
Matthias

[1] https://forge.petermann-it.de/mpeterma/vmtools/src/commit/c0f89b3b7610da25fd073a0cebf4e11788934a4b/vmbackup#L193