Re: Problems booting NetBSD/Xen on Intel NUC 12 Extreme w/ i9-12900

Hi,

> Bridging the xvif interfaces should just work.

Amen to that. I've used this extensively in NetBSD all over the world for at least 10-15 years.

> forwarding is about routing packets, it's not necessary for a bridge.
>
>>   Brad> I am not suggesting that this is the problem you are having,
>>   Brad> as I am not 100% sure what sort of thing your ure0 is, but I
>>   Brad> have had trouble in the past when the external interface of
>>   Brad> the DOM0 is a 802.11 NIC.
>
> Bridging on a wifi interface doesn't work. For bridging, the interface has
> to send packets with MAC addresses that are not its own, but a regular client
> is identified by its MAC address.

I don’t use wifi for this.

>> I think this is not Xen specific - when you bridge multiple VMs to the
>> same physical NIC, you need a sort of L2 NAT (I believe on Linux this is
>> called macvlan)
>
> You can bridge VMs on a virtual bridge just like you can bridge physical machines
> on a physical bridge.

The only thing that is different with this machine compared to my other DOM0s is that this one runs 10_BETA (the others are all 9.2) and that this one uses a 1000T-FDX ure(4) USB-dongle because NetBSD doesn’t yet support the 10G and 2.5G NICs that are onboard.

My suspicion is still that this is me doing something wrong (as in something has changed from 9.2 to 10_BETA, just like the “msr_relaxed=1” setting that Brian pointed out was a change from xen 4.11 to 4.15). I just haven’t found out what yet.

I’m sure there must be people using 10_BETA with Xen DOMUs that have external connectivity. After all, Xen is one of the major improvements in NetBSD 10.

Regards,
Johan