Re: Problems booting NetBSD/Xen on Intel NUC 12 Extreme w/ i9-12900

Hello all,

On 11.05.23 12:27, Johan Stenstam wrote:
Hi agin,

Sure, I did that last night, but the results are… a bit confusing. Using your nice config to get a the serial console displayed via Xen + the root=dk1 argument I eventually get the box to boot XEN3_DOM0 via the following line in boot.cfg (this is from memory, but I’m sure it’s accurate):

menu=FOO:load /netbsd.XEN3_DOM0.10_BETA root=dk1 console=com0;multiboot /xen415.gz dom0_mem=1024M vga=current,keep

It takes about 15 minutes, due to the extremely slow console, but the result is a booted system:

ssh -A root@172.16.1.214
Last login: Thu May 11 05:29:43 2023 from 172.16.1.25
NetBSD 10.0_BETA (XEN3_DOM0) #0: Thu May  4 18:57:28 UTC 2023
bash#

So that’s obviously great.

However, if I keep everything the same except that I change the console config:

menu=BAR:load /netbsd.XEN3_DOM0.10_BETA root=dk1 console=pc;multiboot /xen415.gz dom0_mem=1024M

…the result is that when Xen hands over the console to the DOM0 the screen goes dark (that’s expected) and the box never comes up (in the sense of responding to ping and being able to log in over ssh.

So my interpretation of this is that there seem to be multiple issues at hand:

1. There is some sort of problem with handing over the console from Xen to the DOM0.

2. There is some other sort of problem with the DOM0 not booting successfully due to problems with the console.

It is possible that these two things are actually the same, eg. the handover problem cause the DOM0 to crash, but I see no easy way to tell whether the DOM0 crashes immediately or if it becomes unhappy later on.

What would have been nice would be an alternative like “console=none”, as in “I know there is no working console, just send the output to the log so that I can examine it later”, but I cannot find one.

this good discussion here has motivated me to experiment with NetBSD/Xen again. Some time ago I focused on Qemu/nvmm because my newer systems can only boot UEFI and I did not manage to boot Xen especially on the NUCs.

Something seems to have changed here. With the many helpful suggestions here, I have found a configuration that works on my NUC (NetBSD 10.0_BETA + xen415). In doing so, it behaves exactly as described by Johan:

<code>
menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz bootdev=NAME=root console=com0;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M vga=current,keep
</code>

(Result: very slow extremely high resolution console, but a working system).

I also tried different mopde values for the vga parameter and then also several times had the case that either nothing changed or I only got a black screen on handover to the NetBSD kernel without the system showing any activity afterwards.

In this context I would like to make a comment that might also help Johan. When I set the parameter to "vga=ask", what I expected (normally a prompt should appear to select the graphics mode) does not happen, the screen also goes black, but the system continues to boot and is then accessible via ssh. The whole thing is also quite fast - maybe this is the workaround for the missing "console=none".

Many greetings
Matthias

[1] http://xenbits.xenproject.org/docs/4.4-testing/misc/xen-command-line.html