Re: create/destroy causes all domu to briefly loose network

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 07:57:32AM -0700, Stephen M. Jones wrote:
>> I've noticed in that there is a brief (about 30 second) outage across all
>> domu when one of the domu is created or destroyed.  This occurs even when the
>> domu being created or destroyed is not on the network.
>>
>> What is the cause of this and is there any work around to this behavior?
>> If not, is create / destroy only to be used sparingly to not affect all other hosts?
>
> I don't have this problem. it looks like some spanning tree issue;
> do you have STP enabled on the bridge ? Could the physical interface be
> doing a reset ?

I was going to respond with the same thought, but do not know what "This
occurs even when the domu being created or destroyed is not on the
network." means exactly...  did the DOMU have a NIC configured at all,
or did it lack one completely??  If there was no NIC involved with the
DOMU at all, it is hard for me to imagine how spanning tree could be
involved, but if it did have a NIC, but it was unconfigured, then I
suspect that spanning tree is involved in the bridge used for Xen.  My
understanding is that STP should not be enabled for those bridges, but I
will be honest in that I don't remember why I think that.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org