Re: regarding the changes to kernel entropy gathering

At Sun, 04 Apr 2021 21:14:31 +0200 (CEST), Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: regarding the changes to kernel entropy gathering

> Do note, the existing randomness sources are still being sampled and
> mixed into the pool, so even if the starting state from the saved
> entropy may be known (by violating the security of the storage),
> it's still not possible to predict the complete stream of randomness
> data once the system has seen a bit of uptime (given that there are
> actual other sources of (unverified) entropy which aren't all of too
> low quality).

No amount of uptime and activity was increasing the entropy in my system
before I patched it.  /dev/random remained blocked after days of busy
system activity.  I would argue that most, if not all, of the sources of
entropy identified by rndctl(8) on my systems are high-quality and
secure sources in my circumstances and for my uses.

Perhaps the unpatched implementation isn't doing exactly what you think
it is?

The unpatched implementation completely and entirely prevents the system
from ever using any of those sources, despite showing that they are
enabled for use.

> However, in the new scheme of things, because most of the
> traditional sources have unknown quality, and we have no reliable
> method to estimate how much "actual entropy" those sources
> provide, they no longer count towards the *estimate* of what is
> now a lower bound on the "real" entropy available in the pool.

It really doesn't matter what can be determined in general and from a
distance.

What matters is what a given administrator can determine in particular
for a given application in a given circumstance.

Before my patch the system was not behaving as documented and could not
be made to behave as the documentation said it could be made to behave.

With my patch I can choose which to trust from amongst the available
sources.  Without that patch my choices are ignored and the system lies
to me about using my choices.  I would argue my patch fixes a critical
bug.

> Besides, the implementation has been thoroughly vetted.  E.g. the
> reference [7] from the wikipedia article states in the conclusion on
> page 20
>
>    Overall, the Ivy Bridge RNG is a robust design with a large
>    margin of safety that ensures good random data is generated even
>    if the Entropy Source is not operating as well as predicted.

"design" != implementation

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>